Looking for a good and inexpensive teacher/friend/neighbor gift; look no further than this awesome sugar scrub! Last year I wanted to make sugar scrubs for homemade neighbor/friend gifts….but I was nervous because I had heard that essential oils were SO expensive and I didn’t know how to use them, and, and, and….I could go on. So I didn’t make them. Sad. If you are in the same boat that I was last year, I am here to tell you, it isn’t as scary as you THINK! I am here to walk you through it! See how cute it is?!
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- A few drops of essential oil
(food coloring is optional)
I hate it when bloggers post a bunch of stuff/pictures before FINALLY giving you the recipe and directions…I have tips and suggestions, but the will be below the recipe and directions. Please keep reading after the directions that are directly below this.You’re Welcome! 😉
MAKING the Sugar Scrub
- Heat up your 1/4 cup of coconut oil in the microwave until it is liquid. (Mine took about 50 seconds)
- While that is heating, measure out 1 cup of sugar in a large bowl. (I say large bowl, so you can easily stir without flinging sugar everywhere-but you can choose a small bowl if you prefer.
- Pour half of your liquid coconut oil into your sugar bowl. Mix together. This will be similar to “creaming” butter and sugar together while baking cookies
- Once that is well mixed slowly add the rest of the oil as needed (you may not need it all, you may need more!) You want it to be wet but not drippy, soaking wet
- Add in a few drops of your essential oil of choice! Mix again.
- If you are going to do 2 different colors, split your sugar scrub in half (or thirds or fourths) and color accordingly.
- Pour into a jar that can become airtight (don’t want your sugar scrub drying out!)
THAT IS IT! So easy, so cute, less than 5 minutes and ready for this? The jar of peppermint candy cane sugar scrub I made for my daughter’s teacher cost me an entire 27 cents! That is Holidays on a BUDGET people! You can do it too-check your local thrift store for cool jars for cheap!
How to USE the Sugar Scrub
If you are gifting this to a friend/neighbor/teacher, please make sure you tell them how to use it. You can make a cute tag that says:
Directions: Get hands wet. Scoop a bit of sugar scrub onto your finger and rub into and all around your hands. The sugar will gently exfoliate while moisturizing your hands/feet. Simply rinse off and dry hands/feet to feel your incredibly soft and smooth skin! Enjoy!
Tips on making the Sugar Scrub
You can find sugar at a great price during this holiday baking season, I scored a 4lb bag for just $1.67 this week! Do you know how many batches of sugar scrub I can make out of 4 lbs?! A LOT!
Coconut oil is pretty common and I have seen it at Walmart and even the regular grocery store in my little town. It is sold in jars and it is a “solid” not a liquid. I used Tropical Traditions coconut oil.
Essential oils, I used to be terrified of them. I didn’t know anything about them, except that they were expensive. This summer I found an online wholesale company that sold the oils, I wasn’t sure if they were as “good” as the expensive stuff, but I sure loved the prices, so it was worth a shot. I am not an expert but I’ve compared them to “name brand” oils my Mom uses and found them to be the same! I am hooked on Bulk Apothecary’s site– they have fantastic prices! (PS-they also sell coconut oil on their site–one stop shopping!)
We haven’t had a day above 0 degrees in the last week in MT. It was -27 this morning when I took my kids to school! The cold weather can really do damage to your hands, this simple and easy sugar scrub can rejuvenate them instantly! The best part, it doesn’t burn, sting, cause redness, etc. My kids all suffer from Eczema and this is by far the best way to treat it! Let me know if you make some! I am going to be making up some lemon, lavender, and honeysuckle ones in addition to my peppermint candy cane ones for all my mom buddies! I can’t wait to get giving these awesome sugar scrubs! Leave me a blog post comment and let me know if you made some!
Disclosure: There is really nothing to disclose here. 😉 I didn’t receive compensation for this post, I just thought there might be someone out there that might benefit from this post! Happy Holidays to you! <3 Cj Enjoy your sugar scrub!
Latest posts by Cj (see all)
- The Digiloom is a new fun weaving toy that lets creativity flow! - 08/07/2017
- The truth about the people who “have it all together” - 08/01/2017
- New Minion Toy-Turbo Dave by WowWee Company - 06/28/2017