With summer vacation just around the corner, families are carefully crafting the perfect vacations. There are theme parks to visit, historic and natural sites to see, and restaurants to sample. Wherever your destination is, it will be a whirlwind of fun, learning, and perfect memories, but first you have to get there. As we plan vacations, we often overlook one of the longest and potentially most disastrous aspects of our adventure: the travel. Before relaxing in paradise, you have to endure hours or even days of cars, planes, trains, or any combination of all three. Confining several people (especially children) in small spaces, for an extended period of time, is the quickest way to devolve from a vacation into torture-fest. Within a few short hours tempers will flare, patience will dissolve, and the fireworks will begin. But not this year! This year, instead of wishing away all of your travel time, you are going to learn some of the most fascinating details about your favorite historical figures. You are going to learn the psychology behind your crazy uncle’s random outbursts. You are going to learn how getting a diamond may actually lead to more problems in your marriage. You might be asking yourself how on earth you will be learning about diamonds while cruising down historic Route 66. Easy. Just like you plan fun, exciting activities to fill up your vacation time, you will download interesting, hilarious podcasts to fill up your drive time. Gone are the days of counting mile markers and playing the license plate game. I have compiled a list of some of the funniest, cerebral, insightful, and fascinating podcasts. Now when you are online booking hotels and buying concert tickets, you can be downloading as many podcast episodes as you need to get through your flight or drive. You are welcome and happy summer vacation! 1. Freakonomics– After the success of their runaway best-selling books Freakonomics and Superfreakonomics Steven Levitt and Stephen Dubner joined forces to continue to explore the unexpected relationships between seemingly unrelated items in our culture and society.
2. The Loveumentary– Nate Bagley was tired of cliche answers to how relationships work. He set out to find what really leads to healthy relationships and what steps can be taken to maintain them. He was tired of only hearing negative commentary about marriage and has traveled around the country talking to real couples about how a thriving marriage is built.
3. The Psych Files– The Psych Files is a Psychology podcast hosted by Michael A. Britt, Ph.D. The Psych Files is aimed at anyone curious about human behavior. With episodes chronicling everything from living in an asylum to how advertisers get you to buy their products, everyone is sure to find something fascinating on The Psych Files.
4. You Are Not So Smart– The central theme of You Are Not So Smart is that you are unaware of how unaware you are. You Are Not So Smart is a fun exploration of the ways you and everyone else tends to develop an undeserved confidence in human perception, motivation, and behavior.
5. Serial– Serial tells one story – a true story – over the course of an entire season. Each season, they follow a plot and characters wherever the story goes. It a tantalizing mystery until the very end. Can you figure it out?
6. 99% Invisible– 99% Invisible is a tiny radio show about design, architecture & the 99% invisible activity that shapes our world. Roman Mars hosts this amazing and insightful podcast.
7. Stuff You Should Know– If you have ever wondered how slinkies work, why there are different blood types, or why clowns illicit such a strong emotional reaction then this is the podcast for you. It is an entertaining and fascinating look at the world around you.
8. Backstory– Backstory offers the insider’s view of history. From a history of the police force in the United States to the wackiest hoaxes throughout the ages. You will see history with a new perspective and a new appreciation.
9. The Memory Palace– From piecing together the early history of motion pictures to a brief history of shadowboxing, everyone will find historical tidbits in The Memory Palace.
- 5-Winter Themed Bone Chilling Survival Movies on Netflix - 12/29/2017
- 7 Best Scary Movies for Kids that are Streaming on NETFLIX - 10/13/2017
- Sneaking is the new bingeing | #MomSneak - 07/21/2017