You know how it goes, you ask, “How was school today?” and your child says, “Good.” and then tunes out the rest of the ride home. Anyone else have this problem? My kids now know that if they reply with good they are going to get hit with at least 3 of these questions. They’ve gotten better about telling me about their day, but I wanted to share with you 30 questions you can ask instead of “How was school today?”
30 Questions to ask instead of “How Was School Today?”
- What was something funny that happened at school today?
- What grossed you out at school today?
- Who did you sit by at lunch?
- If you could change one thing about your day at school, what would it be?
- Did you and ______ (name a student in their class) talk today? If so what did you talk about?
- Did you work in groups today in class or was all your work done individually?
- If they did work in groups, who was in your group?
- What did you learn in math/science/history today?
- Was your whole class there today?
- Did your teacher say anything that made you smile?
- What did you do during 1st recess?
- Who did you play with during lunch recess?
- What was your favorite part of lunch today?
- What was the hardest word you had to spell today?
- What is one thing you learned today that you didn’t know before?
- What did you do in music/PE, or what books did you check out at library time?
- Did you have assigned reading today or did you get to choose your reading material?
- What was your book about?
- If your teacher let you choose any spot (except a desk) to sit in the classroom where would it be?
- If you could choose the seating arrangement in the classroom, who would you sit by?
- Where is your favorite place/room to be in at school?
- What new word did you learn today?
- Tell me one kind thing that you saw happen today. Was there more than one?
- Did you see anyone sitting alone at recess today? If so what can you do tomorrow to help them feel less lonely?
- If you could take one piece of the playground equipment and re-do it into a different thing to play on, what would you build?
- Was there a point that you were bored at school? Tell me about it.
- If you got to choose the game for PE what would you choose?
- Who was the funniest person in school today?
- Did you use any other writing tool besides a pencil today? What did you use and why?
- What subject was the most fun to learn today? What was it about?
If you are tired of getting the response of “good” when you ask, “How was school today?” then this article is just what you need 30 fun questions to ask
I’ve loved getting to know more about my kid’s day at school, their classmates, and teachers. We’ve gotten some pretty funny answers and it seems to really liven the kids up to a fun discussion after a long day of school. I’ve used these for a couple of months and my kids and I look forward to our after school discussions each day! I hope you have success with these too!