It is holiday time again. The lights are glittering, the snow is falling, and the music is ringing. Unfortunately, the holidays often entail lots of shopping, cleaning, cooking, driving, and stressing. Everything leading up to the fancy holiday meal or gift exchange can really drain you. Sometimes, I let all of the planning and shopping suck the joy and celebration out of my holidays. I, also, know that extra long weekends with family and friends can get a little rough. Sometimes you need a little break from the difficult relatives. So before you become a completely stressed out Grinch or throttle your crazy uncle, grab your e-reader or run to the library and check out some of these great books. They are enlightening, uplifting, and sure to help you enjoy the holidays.
- The Blue Castle by L.M. Montgomery: Though not as famous as some of her other books, The Blue Castle is lovely. It is a retelling of a classic tale, with unexpected plot twists. It is the perfect book to read on a cold afternoon, cuddled under a cozy blanket.
- The BeeKeeper’s Apprentice by Laurie R. King: If you like a great mystery, this is the book for you. The plot follows a young girl that meets the great Sherlock Holmes. She is taken under his wing and follows in his footsteps. This book will keep you guessing until the last pages.
- Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand: This is the story of a young airman in WWII. He becomes stranded in the Pacific Ocean and must find the will to survive. You will not be able to put this page turner down! This NYT bestseller is going to be made into a movie, so hurry and read it before it hits theaters.
- Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell: Wives and Daughters is one of my favorite regency era novels. It is a fantastic and witty critique of the roles and rules of English society. With engaging dialogue and very human characters, this is a book that will both make you laugh and sigh with exasperation.
- Epitaph for a Peach by David Mas Masumoto: While winter has you in its bitter cold grasp, Epitaph for a Peach is the perfect story to warm your heart and your soul. It is the poignant and touching memoir of an organic peach farmer in California. It was surprising moving and left me dreaming of summer and my mouth watering for a sweet, delicious peach.
- The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay: Set in the South Africa, during WWII, The Power of One is a powerful and compelling coming of age story of a young boy growing up during strife between the Boers and the British. It is beautifully written, and challenges you to think. This is a book that will change you forever.
- The World’s Strongest Librarian by Josh Hanagarne: Josh was diagnosed with a severe form of Tourettes, while he was only 6. His family helped him try to live a normal life, but his tics began to overpower him. With the help of an autistic weight lifter, Josh was able to learn how to manage his tics and become incredibly strong. This is a beautiful story of hope and perseverance.
- Wonder by RJ Palacio: This is a Young Adult book, but it is too good to leave off the list. If, in the hustle and bustle of the holidays, you have seen fighting, anger, and greed, this book will restore your belief in the human potential to be great. This book will touch you heart and renew your soul.
- The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman: This is a beautifully heartbreaking tale about loss, hope, choices, and consequences. It is a dramatically woven tale, that will be difficult to put down. You will continue to ponder themes in this book, long after you have finished it.
Latest posts by Irina (see all)
- 5-Winter Themed Bone Chilling Survival Movies on Netflix - 12/29/2017
- 7 Best Scary Movies for Kids that are Streaming on NETFLIX - 10/13/2017
- Sneaking is the new bingeing | #MomSneak - 07/21/2017