Oh alone time, how I miss you! As a mom I spend almost 90% of my day with my kids and the other 10% sleeping, ok maybe not but you get the picture. I wake up to my two year old asking for milk and not long after the morning cries from my 4 month old begin. This has all happened by 6:30 am. Then I make breakfast and start feeding the baby. Then pretty much I am in baby and toddler mode until 1 pm when it is finally, I mean unfortunately nap time for the kids. After about 1-3 hours in bed the kids wake up and are ready for a snack and more mommy time. So when bed time comes around at 7 pm I am exhausted, stressed, overwhelmed and not wanting to be touched by any other human being, sorry honey.
So since this had become a regular daily routine for me I decided I needed to think of some ways I could get my alone time so that I could stay sane for my family and here are 5 ideas that I came up with:
1. Set up a schedule.
This is a new one for me. Today is the first day that I have been able to put my 4 month old baby down for a nap in his bed. Before today I was putting him in the swing, bouncer or holding him while he slept so he was always in the same room as me, so even if I was not holding him I was never technically alone. Now that he is sleeping in his crib, and that I have set up a schedule so him and his older sister take a nap at the same time in the afternoon, I have anywhere between 1-4 hours to myself to do whatever I want to do, which usually means I will be cleaning but at least my clothes won’t be magically unfolding themselves like they always seem to do when my two year old is awake.
2. Join a gym that includes child care.
I recently did this and it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. The child care makes my membership a little more than if I were to join the gym without it but it is worth the extra money. It has been a big push for myself to go and work out and even if I don’t particularly like it, working out obviously has many positive side effects and I can have up to two hours during the three days a week I go to just be by myself to watch a show that does not star a talking/singing animal.
3. Pass the baby off to your husband if you are having a particularly rough day.
Believe me I know this is hard and can make us feel guilty because we just want to be able to let our husbands rest after a day full of working but we have had a day full of working too and we deserve to be able to pass the kids off every once in a while. Once you are alone in your room you can take the chance to take a bath, alone, with a book, music, candles, and those bath fizzes you have been hiding in the back of your bathroom drawer in hopes of this very day.
4. Set up playdate swaps with a friend.
What would a friend be for if you couldn’t use them to pawn your kids off on? Just kidding! But in all seriousness this is an awesome thing. If you have a mom friend then they are probably dying for some alone time just like you are so they will jump at any opportunity at the chance of getting some just like I am sure you would. This could be something that happens every week or maybe just once a month but some alone time is better than none.
5. Go on a vacation just for mommy and daddy.
This one is the hardest to do but I am desperately craving it and cannot wait for our 5 year anniversary when we are planning on going on a cruise for a week and dumping the kids off at the grandparent’s. So the kids will get a fun week with Grandma and Grandpa, and my husband and I will get a relaxing vacation to help us recharge until our next mommy and daddy vacation.
Of course some of these ideas are harder than others, like joining a gym or going on a vacation, but they are all perfect ways to get that most needed mommy alone time that we all crave and need, I know I go CRAZY during the whole week if I don’t get it. So try one, two, three or all of these ideas out and let me know how they go and how much you enjoyed your time to yourself!
Latest posts by Ashley (see all)
- Hugaboo is the Comfy way to Teach Your Baby to Sit Up - 12/07/2017
- Getting Your Child Ready for KinderGarten is Made Easier with the All Ready for Kindergarten Readiness Kit from Learning Resources - 11/30/2017
- Four Games That are Sure to Bring a Smile to Your Family and Make for the Best Game Nights; Goliath Games - 11/29/2017