Now that school has started, for some, and will be starting soon for the rest, I thought it would be a good time to share one of my kids’ new favorite snack ideas that would be great for a quick after school snack. They are apple cookies and we love them because they are healthy, quick and can be changed easily based on each child’s individual likes or needs.
-Apples of any kind but I think that granny smith work the best
-Peanut butter or almond butter
-Any toppings (some that we chose were chocolate chips, sprinkles, cinnamon and almonds but the possibilities are endless)
1. Use an apple peeler/corer to peel and cut the apples, this will help get them into a donut shape.
When you are done it will look like this.
2. Pull the peeled and cut apple apart into circles.
3. Top each apple slice with some peanut butter, smooth or crunchy.
4. Then decorate with your child’s favorite toppings, they can even help with this part if you don’t want to make them all yourself.
5. Give to the kids to enjoy.
I ended up making these on a play date and it was a hit with all of the kids and as long as you have apples and peanut butter on hand, I know I usually always do, than it is easy and inexpensive treat to fill any hungry school kids belly at the end of a long school day.
What do you think your kids’ favorite toppings would be for their apple cookies? What other quick peanut butter snacks do your kids love to eat after school?
If you love peanut butter as much as me and want a few more ideas for some quick after school peanut butter snack ideas check out these 4 Healthy and Quick Peanut Butter Recipes.