October 8, 8:30 a.m. to October 10, 8:30 a.m. – Herald Square, NYC
To mark the one-year anniversary of Hurricane Sandy, long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad – fresh off her landmark swim from Cuba to Florida – helps power disaster recovery efforts through a 48-hour test of mental, physical and emotional endurance: the Nyad Swim for Relief. With the strength and support of P&G brands at her side, Diana Nyad swims for 48 continuous hours in the heart of New York City to raise funds for the AmeriCares Hurricane Sandy Relief Fund.
The Nyad Swim for Relief reflects the emotional and mental strength it takes to overcome adversity and restore a sense of normalcy to lives disrupted by disasters. P&G brands such as Duracell, Tide and Secret are underwriting all production costs for the Nyad Swim for Relief, maximizing the donated funds that directly support Sandy recovery activities. In the months following Hurricane Sandy, AmeriCares distributed more than $6.4 million in aid to help survivors, including $3.5 million for medicines and relief supplies and $2.9 million in grants to community organizations providing services such as storm clean-up and mental health counseling. And the recovery efforts continue with so many storm survivors still in need of help.
Hurricane Sandy caused approximately $70 billion in damage across the Eastern seaboard, destroying 12,500 homes in New Jersey alone. To-date, in Ocean County, NJ, more than 25,000 residents are still displaced from their homes and in New York FEMA has again extended its deadline for Transitional Sheltering Assistance — demonstrating the continued need for these recovery efforts.
A 40-yard, two-lane pool is installed in Herald Square for the event, allowing the public to witness Diana’s incredible display of perseverance while learning about AmeriCares important work of rebuilding lives.
How can you help?
- Come to the event and show your support for Diana Nyad and the Sandy Relief Efforts in person starting at 8:30 a.m. on October 8.
- The event will be held in Herald Square and New Yorkers can experience Nyad’s endurance and cheer her on first hand.
- Celebrities, community leaders, local organizations and everyday New Yorkers are even invited to swim alongside Diana!
- Make a donation to AmeriCares Sandy Relief Fund.
- Share the word with friends and family about this important event and fundraising effort:
- Tweet the event
- Share the event on Facebook
- Cheer on Diana by Tweeting words of encouragement with the hashtag #SwimForRelief. Your Tweet could be showcased at the pool, shared with media and featured across Nyad Swim for Relief activities.